Last Updated on February 15, 2022
The Best Deep Fried Shrimp Recipe
If you like hot appetizers shrimp are a great ingredient to use. These deep fried battered shrimp are beautiful alone or with a sweet chili dip. A creamy dip would also be nice with these big fried shrimp or you could serve them with a selection of dips so people can use the one they want.
The batter, which is made with cornmeal, cream and more, is crispy and flavorful. These shrimp appetizers take only minutes to make and they taste delicious.
It is best to use the biggest shrimp you can get. They cook quickly and they are better for making easy shrimp appetizers.
You might want to double up on this shrimp party appetizers recipe because they are sure to disappear in no time!
Deep Fried Shrimp Recipe
- 3 cups large peeled de-veined shrimp
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 ¾ teaspoons salt
- 1 beaten egg
- Oil to deep fry
- Fresh parsley black olives and lemon slices to garnish
- Season the shrimp with all but ¼ teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
- Stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Combine the cornmeal, half and half, baking powder, cream, egg, and the rest of the salt in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep fryer.
- Stir the shrimp into the batter mixture, and then drop them into the fat in batches, frying until golden brown.
- This takes about 3 minutes per batch.
- Serve hot on a plate garnished with parsley, lemon slices, and black olives.
Deep fried shrimp is a very easy appetizer and a very simple concept but the flavor is simply divine. Imagine the crispy batter, the juicy shrimp, and the tang of lemon juice squeezed over the top. This is a delicious recipe for any season or any event.
You can deep fry all kinds of fish but there is something special and unique about the shrimp flavor. Shrimp appetizers are always popular at buffets and dinner parties, like other seafood appetizers.